Uttarakhand News

52% schools in U’khand failed to update the govt. about mid-day meal status

To provide better nutrition to the children, the government started an SMS-based alert system for reporting the progress of mid-day meal in government run-schools. Out of the lot, only 48% of schools have updated the mid-day meal status while the remaining 52% are not fulfilling the objective. Uttarakhand School Education Minister Arvind Pandey has announced to start the noble ‘Akshay Patra’ project in four districts including Nainital, Udham Singh Nagar, Haridwar and Dehradun, where a centralized kitchen will be set up for providing mid-day meals to more than 17,000 government schools as a pilot project.

This decision was taken in the wake of weak monitoring of the mid-day meals provided in the primary and upper primary schools. Most schools in Uttarakhand have failed to update their status. Seema Jaunsari, Director Primary Education Department said that the percentage of schools updating their meal status was received after deliberate efforts and cajoling the teachers. She also admitted that the text based system is not helping in giving the true outcome. In an interview with a leading daily, Seema Jaunsari said, “Still there are more than 50% government schools that are not reporting about the meal status to us. But, we are trying to communicate to them to do this as a mandatory clause”.

52% schools in U'khand failed to update the govt. about mid-day meal status

Src: 52% schools in U’khand failed to update the govt. about mid-day meal status

Teachers in Dehradun, Haridwar blame Poor Mobile Connectivity for not updating the meal Status

To cover up their act, teachers have come up with lame excuses for not updating the meal status. Those deployed in the Dehradun and Haridwar districts have gone too far by giving vague reasons such as poor mobile connectivity that had hindered them from forwarding the SMSs. While the two districts have the best mobile connectivity such excuses are baseless and show the negligence of the teaching faculty.

Parmendra Bisht, Joint Director Primary Education stated that “Dehradun and Haridwar being in the plains are weak performers. An evaluation system is needed that should be linked with the salaries of teachers to ensure reporting of meal status”. Apart from Dehradun and Haridwar, schools in remote districts like Pithoragarh and Bageshwar too are not reporting their mid-day meal status. While Pauri district leads in reporting the mid-day meal status with 78%, followed by Rudraprayag and Udham Singh Nagar districts.

52% schools in U'khand failed to update the govt. about mid-day meal status

Src: 52% schools in U’khand failed to update the govt. about mid-day meal status

About the Mid Day Meal Scheme

Back in 2002, the mid-day meal scheme was launched in Uttarakhand and since then the government has seen a discrepancy in monitoring. Last year, the mid-day scheme was enhanced by adding eggs, bananas, chaulai ladoos, jagerry, once every week. There are about 17,739 government-run primary schools in the state where more than 7.84 lakh children study. When inquired about the poor reporting status of mid-day meals in the state, school education minister Arvind Pandey said, “I will instruct officials to implement the guidelines effectively but until we start centralised kitchens, teachers will have to continue reporting through the system”.

Src: nyoooz.com

Comments